Feb 25, 2013

artistic mapping proposal

My idea for our next project is to map my drawing process, and perhaps taking a page from Jason Salavon's work in layering pictures of a drawing at each point during the progress so that at the end, you can see vaguely each step that it takes to come up with a completed picture. this interests me because i love to draw and lately i have been experimenting with new approaches to drawing and so i decided what better to do than to combine my love for drawing with my love for digital art. might make a crazy baby, but i hope it will turn out nice.
my plan is to set up a piece of paper and a camera, and record every change i make, ever pencil/pen/marker/colpen mark that i make, and layer every image on top of one another, so that each mark that stays is darker than each subsequent mark, making a record of time within the darkness of each line. also, as i"m one of those people who erases a lot, i think there will be a few ghostly almost afterimage quality lines that would normally be lost.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it could an interesting map of your artistic process.

    As I was reading your proposal, I was reminded of William Kentridge...he will take one single piece of paper and draw/erase/draw...as he does, he documents the changes with the camera and then makes a stop-motion animation...unrelated to the mapping assignment, but I thought you may enjoy his work: William Kentridge

    ReplyDelete